Social Inequalities in Motherhood and Women's Well-being
I just wonder how mothering me has influenced my mother's health.
Family Inequalities and Children's Outcomes
- Using 30 years of sibling data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth 1979 Children and Young Adults (NLSY79-CYA), my co-author and I investigate how exhibiting insecure temperaments at an early age is associated with various outcomes from adolescence to young adulthood. We pay special attention to whether the associations between insecure temperaments and youth outcomes depend on the mother’s age at the focal child’s birth. Using family fixed-effects models, we find that while young maternal age at birth is associated with worse educational achievement and mental health in adolescence and early adulthood for children with insecure childhood temperaments, it hardly matters for those with secure temperaments. Our findings enrich debates that view early childbearing’s impacts on offspring as universally negative or totally exaggerated.
- Yu, Wei-hsin, and Hope Xu Yan. 2022. “Maternal Age, Early Childhood Temperament, and Youth Outcomes.” Demography. 59(6):2215-2246
- Using the same data, we also refute previous arguments that sibship size’s effect on children’s development is merely spurious. We argue that sibling additions mainly dilute first- and second-born children’s resources for intellectual and behavioral development. Further, having an older sibling is beneficial for behavioral development likely because older siblings serve as role models.
- Yu, Wei-hsin, and Hope Xu Yan. 2023. "Effects of Siblings on Cognitive and Sociobehavioral Development: Ongoing Debates and New Theoretical Insights." American Sociological Review. Online first.
- I am part of a project that studies how coresiding with grandparents is associated with children's health and cognitive outcomes in India using the India Human Development Survey (IHDS).
Workplace/Family Power Dynamics and LGBTQ Health
Gender Inequalities and Women's Well-being in Asia
Surrogacy ads outside a hospital in Beijing. "Sex selection, boy guaranteed."